Sunday, November 25, 2012

A time to give thanks

This past week was American Thanksgiving and, although our Thanksgiving had already passed, stores in our area decided to adopt Black Friday.  Although financial gain was the obvious reason, it somehow surprised me.  I think it surprised me because, of all the things surrounding Thanksgiving that one culture could share in with another, why would it be the commercial aspect that prevailed?  I guess it is, sadly, just a sign of our times that we would choose the material over all else.  But does it really have to be this way?  I think not. 

Thanksgiving is all about, as the name says, giving thanks... for all that we've been given, for every good thing in our lives, for the people that surround us, for our health... and the list goes on and on.  So, instead of getting carried off by the commercial aspect of Thanksgiving, ours or some else's,  why don't we instead take a moment, just a moment, to realize how blessed we truly are... and give thanks for all of these blessings.  Doing this - particularly right now, as the Christmas season approaches - will open our hearts to the blessings that surround us and help us focus on what is truly important, so we do not get lost in the commercial aspect of the season. 

So on this beautiful Sunday morning, as I look around me at all the wonderful people and things that make up my life, I give thanks for it all and I know that I truly am blessed.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more B. Here in the USA, I watch the start of Black Friday moved into Thursday. It seems like nothing is sacred anymore when it comes to the lure of the almighty dollar. But as I look around, I do realize how blessed I truly am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some, Thanksgiving is an everyday celebration.....the fact that we were able to have effortless breathing when we slept, because we felt safe in our homes....the fact that we were still breathing and able to put our feet on the floor after waking and know that they would get us where we need to be.....the food that we nourish our bodies with each day, the people in our lives who give us purpose and bring happiness to our hearts, just to name a very few excellent and very obvious reasons to give thanks each day. But then add in the extras.....the blue jays, the cardinals, the chickadees and the very large squirrel who came to share part of their day, the fresh, authentic bagels that tasted so heavenly, the music that starts the day, the shoulder and ears of the truly special friends who help carry you and bring real to your living and laughter and smiles to share with your soul.....oh I could go on. And I will.....every day that I am still breathing when I place my feet on the floor.

    ReplyDelete