Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Living in a dreamworld is dangerous

Ok, I admit it... I'm a dreamer.  I believe that everything can be perfect, as perfect as I see it in my daydreams.  Oh I can get lost for hours, even days, in some hope or dream (otherwise known as my current obsession) and make it seem so real, so perfectly real, that I expect it to actually happen.  It feels soooo good to follow that dream up a hill, inventing scenarios, playing them out over and over in my mind, perfecting them until I know that this time it will happen!  But... and yes, there's always a but... when I get to the top of that hill and look out over *shudder* r-e-a-l-i-t-y, that's when the bubble bursts and, to borrow a phrase from a dear friend, disappointment happens. 

And that is the danger of living in a dreamworld... oh it might feel good for a while, very good even, but if I take it too far, inevitably things don't turn out like I'd "planned."

So, the question is, how do I hope and dream without getting lost in the inevitable reverie that has me crashing down into disappointment?  I would like to believe that if I want something enough and if I plan it out I can actually make it happen.  Unfortunately I think there are always more variables than those I anticipate, things outside of my control, that prevent my beautiful dreams from being anything but that - just dreams.

I wonder... all this talk about living in the moment, being mindful, and just sticking with what's happening in the present, could that ever become as enjoyable as my wonderful daydreams?  I think it might be worth a serious try... stay tuned and I'll let you know how it turns out ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment