Friday, May 27, 2011

A Place

I have a place that I go to when the world is getting me down.

Actually, it's not just a place.  It's a place, yes, but more importantly, it's the people in the place.

I go there when I need to feel loved.  I go there when nothing makes sense - or when everything makes too much sense - and I always come away feeling calm and very, very loved.  I have been going there for years, decades even, and I never once imagined what it would be like if I couldn't go there... no, better stay away from those thoughts.  When I go there I alternately feel like a little girl (because I was a little girl when I started going there) and also very much a woman who can make her own decisions and is trusted to lead her own life.  When I go there it always feels like going home; yes, this place I go to is like my second home, even though I've never actually lived there.  When I go there I always feel welcome, and that feels so, so good.

I often wonder what I have done to deserve this enormous blessing.  Whatever it is, I am so incredibly thankful to have this place to go to... and these people to love, who love me back.

These words, from my most favourite poem by Kahlil Gibran called "Friendship", express it better than I ever could:

For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill?
Seek him always with hours to live.
For it is his to fill your need, but not your emptiness.
And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and the sharing of pleasures.
For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.

(from The Prophet)
 ♥♥♥
 

No comments:

Post a Comment